A view of Everton in 1817
View of Everton from Great Mersey Street in 1818
Once a pastoral village set up on a Brow, a distance from the increasingly
prosperous Port of Liverpool, 18th century Everton was a desirable place to
live with unsurpassable views across the River Mersey to the Welsh hills and
over the town to the as yet unspoilt rolling countryside.
With the onset of the Great Irish Famine and the Industrial and commercial
growth of Liverpool, rural migration and immigration from Ireland and Wales
brought a rapid increase in the local population, changing the Everton landscape
dramatically. To accommodate this influx, densely packed rows of back to back
houses were built on the hills surrounding the village which was quickly subsumed
into the industrial conglomerate.
Following the 2nd World War, which left many derelict bomb sites, the advent
of ‘Prefab’ housing, enabled many people to move away from the
area. With the arrival of the 60’s came the demolition of terraced streets,
which had become such a landmark, visible as they were from the River, to
be replaced by high rise blocks of flats.
Although the 1980’s brought a return to a more sociable style of housing
development, perhaps more significantly it also reinstated extensive open
space to the area with the creation of Everton Park.
The park today
The view over a much changed cityscape to Wirral and Wales beyond remains
an impressive attraction of the area and a key quality of the Park, along
with children’s play area. Another notable to the area is the award
winning Nature Garden, an oasis of wetland, woodland and meadow habitat and
a major educational and community resource for inner city Liverpool.