Postcard of Sefton Park early 1900s
Postcard of the Palmhouse. (Date unknown)
Postcard of the Entrance to Sefton Park, early 1900s
Palm House Interior, early 1900s
Map of Sefton Park 1867
Sefton Park was designed by Edouard André (Gardener in Chief, Paris)
and Lewis Hornblower (a Liverpool architect) who won a competition in 1867
and a prize of 300 guineas was awarded. The winning design blended the natural
undulating topography and two branches of a Mersey tributary to create a landscape
in which there was a spinal ornamental watercourse, embellished with rock
features including cascades, grottoes and stepping stones leading to a 7 acre
lake. Carefully planted woodland clumps sought to create a spacious park landscape
with framed vistas revealed from elliptical and tangential pathways.
The park is 269 acres (108 ha) and is the city's largest urban park once known
as 'Liverpool's Hyde Park'. Park features include listed statuary, grottoes,
gateways and buildings. Statues include full replicas of Peter Pan by Sir
George Frampton and the Shaftsbury Memorial (Eros fountain) by Sir Alfred
Gilbert. Both are Grade II listed.
Sefton Park Palm House constructed in 1896, is a Grade II* listed building
recently fully restored and refurbished with Heritage Lottery and European
funding. The building reopened as a major botanical and events attraction
in September 2001.
The Park today
Sefton Park is undergoing a major Heritage Lottery Funded renovation with
substantial works to reinstate the flowing watercourses and features such
as the Eros fountain and bandstand. The works will also improve park facilities
with the introduction of a new children’s play area, café and
toilets. Works are programmed for completion in 2009.