Postcard of the Curator’s House, Wavertree Botanic Garden, early 1909
Postcard of the Lake and Conservatory, Wavertree Botanic Garden, early 1900s
William Roscoe – poet, author, artist and MP - cherished the notion
that the growth of 18th Century Liverpool should not neglect the arts and culture,
leading to the founding of Liverpool Botanic Garden in 1802. When the original
town centre site became unsuitable, this exclusive Garden was re-established
in Wavertree (1836) becoming a fully public amenity by 1847.
Shortly after the land surrounding the walled garden was acquired by the Corporation
with Wavertree Park formally opened in 1856. Although the wider parkland provided
much needed open space in an industrialised and densely populated area,
the walled garden remained the principal attraction with a grand conservatory
amid colourful bedding and feature planting displays.
The site became a venue for many events including the immensely popular Liverpool
International Exhibition of Navigation, Travelling, Commerce and Manufactures,
visited by over 2.5 million in 1886.
The park today
Although the great Victorian glasshouse was a casualty of WW2, the walled
garden retains a charm, with vestiges of the site history remaining throughout
the Park. A new sports changing facility is being introduced to support football
and the Park features a popular children’s play area.